Let’s face it, it feels good to be wanted. Whether you’re looking for a contract or full-time position, the stakes are high and the competition in IT is fierce. So when recruiting agencies contact you about a consulting project coding Core Java, or they’ve heard good things about your UX design expertise, you feel like one of the chosen few.
Working with a proven, reputable IT recruiter can pay off big for you and the firms that hire you. The best recruiters can provide entry into industries and disciplines you may never have investigated otherwise. These recruiters care about helping you achieve career goals, listen when you describe your ideal work-life balance, provide you with thorough information on their clients, and help rework your resume to fit appropriate roles.
Then There’s … The Other Guys
Sadly, the marketplace teems with recruiters who give a bad name to the entire staffing industry. The ones that tell you they’re submitting you for a position – then don’t. Those that submit you for positions without your knowledge. And those who take “confidentiality” to bizarre limits by not even telling you who their clients are.
And the worst of the lot – the “body shop” recruiters who don’t know the IT business well enough to submit you for the right jobs. When you arrive for an interview, it’s a little late to learn that the manager was expecting a Lead C# Developer when your specialty is C++.
Screen Them Before They Screen You
Linking up to the right IT recruiter, then, is essential to your career, both in the short- and the long-term.
- In the short-term, a good IT staffing firm will assess you carefully and competently, to ensure they have a 360 view of you – your skills, your goals and your work style – and present you in the best light to their clients.
- In the long-term, staying with one good agency that has access to several companies in your area of interest helps prevent “vendor hopping” – something frowned upon by hiring managers, who think such candidates appear desperate and unorganized.
Good IT recruiting agencies have nothing to hide.
- They post searchable jobs with interesting descriptions, and have a robust talent network that connects you with hiring managers in a variety of hot industries.
- They keep an open line of communication and are equipped to answer your questions.
- They are upfront about who their clients are, real pay rates, and visa considerations.
- They’re affiliated with respected organizations like TechServe Alliance, and subscribe to established standards for ethical business practices.
In short, the good IT recruiter is focused on your success – because it’s what determines theirs.